Jason Lord headshot
Jason “Deep Dive” LordAbout the Author
Affiliate Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. If you buy through them, Deep Dive earns a small commission—thanks for the support!

How I Turn a 20-Minute Drive Into a Production Meeting With ChatGPT

Deep Dive AI • Practical AI Workflow

How I Turn a 20-Minute Drive Into a Production Meeting With ChatGPT

A hands-free brainstorming workflow built around Voice, Projects, Memory, personalization, and reusable Skills.

There is a strange little window in my day when I am fully awake, reasonably caffeinated, and completely unable to touch a keyboard.

I am driving.

For years, that time was mostly spoken for. Music. Podcasts. Thinking about errands. Mentally composing emails that would disappear from my brain approximately six minutes after I parked.

And, occasionally, doing some completely reasonable retirement math in my head that somehow ended with a camper, bicycles, a lake, and substantially more money than I actually started with.

Then ChatGPT Voice changed the equation.

Not because talking to an AI while driving is some kind of technological miracle. Voice assistants have existed for years. The useful part is that ChatGPT can become a continuing thinking partner rather than a voice-controlled search box.

When it is configured properly, a 20-minute drive can become a surprisingly productive meeting with the one coworker who already knows what you have been working on, remembers the general direction, does not mind if you change subjects three times, and never complains that the meeting should have been an email.

The important part happens before the car moves

The first rule is simple: set everything up before you drive. Phone mounted, Voice started, destination entered, hands off the screen. Eyes on the road. ChatGPT is the thinking partner, not the driver.

The second rule is more interesting: if you want these conversations to be genuinely useful, configure ChatGPT before you need it.

I think of the setup as five layers.

1. Personalization: give the AI a job description

Before Memory, Projects, or Skills matter, ChatGPT needs to understand the role you want it to play.

This is where your personalization settings and custom instructions become important. You are essentially writing the job description for your AI.

Mine is not simply, “Answer my questions.”

It is closer to: Act as my personal AI assistant. Help me brainstorm, challenge weak ideas, connect new ideas to existing work, and turn conversations into concrete next steps.

That one decision changes the tone of the conversation. Instead of waiting for perfectly formed prompts, I can start with:

“I have kind of a weird idea. Help me figure out whether there is anything here.”

That sounds much more like an actual production meeting than a software command.

2. Memory: stop introducing yourself every morning

Memory is the continuity layer.

Used properly, it allows ChatGPT to understand recurring interests, preferences, goals, and working patterns. That does not mean feeding an AI every private detail of your life. It means allowing useful, durable context to accumulate.

If I start talking about travel, content ideas, AI tools, retirement planning, or some new workflow experiment, I do not necessarily have to rebuild the entire backstory first.

The practical advice here is boring but important: make sure Memory is enabled if you want it, and periodically review your Memory summary in ChatGPT's personalization settings. Context that was useful six months ago may not be useful forever.

A good memory system should reduce repetition, not fossilize your past.

3. Projects: give each kind of work its own room

Projects are where this starts feeling less like chatting and more like having an organized workspace.

I think of Projects as rooms in a house.

One room might contain a content workflow. Another might be travel planning. Another could contain a software build, research project, or long-running idea.

The value is not the folder metaphor itself. It is that relevant chats, files, instructions, and context can stay together.

So when I start a voice conversation related to an existing Project, I am not necessarily beginning from zero. I am walking back into a room where the whiteboard still has yesterday's notes on it.

That makes short driving conversations much more powerful because ten minutes do not have to be spent recreating context.

4. Skills: teach the AI how you like a job done

Skills are different from Memory.

Memory is closer to what the AI knows about you and your ongoing context. A Skill is closer to how a repeatable task should be performed.

For example, you might have a repeatable workflow for researching a blog topic, creating an outline, checking claims, generating an image brief, formatting the article, or preparing social media copy.

Instead of explaining that process every single time, the reusable workflow becomes the playbook.

This is especially useful after a drive.

The car conversation produces the idea. The Skill turns the idea into production.

That is a major distinction. You do not want to spend your drive dictating formatting instructions. You want to spend it thinking.

5. Voice: the interface that makes all the other layers usable on the road

Voice is the part you actually experience while driving, but it is really the final layer rather than the first.

Without the other layers, Voice is just convenient input.

With them, it becomes a way to continue an ongoing working relationship without needing a keyboard.

And that leads to the part I find most useful.

Five ways a 20-minute drive can become a production meeting

1. Hold an editorial meeting with yourself

I often begin with something embarrassingly vague:

“I keep thinking about this idea. I do not know if it is a blog, a video, or just me entertaining myself.”

That is enough.

ChatGPT can start asking the questions an editor would ask: What is the interesting part? Who is this actually for? What would make someone care? Is there a useful lesson hiding inside the anecdote?

By the time I arrive, the fuzzy idea often has a title, angle, audience, and basic structure.

That is not bad for a meeting that happened somewhere between home and the grocery store.

2. Pressure-test an idea before wasting time on it

Brainstorming is easy. Falling in love with your own brainstorming is even easier.

So one of my favorite questions is:

“Tell me what is weak about this.”

Or:

“If this is boring, why is it boring?”

An AI that only agrees with you is not much of a production partner. Sometimes the best outcome of the drive is deciding not to make something.

Twenty minutes of conversation can save three hours of creating a beautifully polished thing nobody needed.

3. Turn rambling into structure

This may be where Voice is strongest for me.

Humans do not naturally think in H2 headings.

We wander. We remember something halfway through a sentence. We connect one idea to another. We circle back. We say, “Wait, actually...” far more often than any professional writing guide recommends.

Voice lets that happen.

Then I can say:

“Okay. Pull together everything I just said. What are the five ideas worth keeping?”

Now the mess has a spine.

I did the human part first: associations, opinions, experiences, weird connections. The AI did the sorting afterward.

4. Connect today's thought to yesterday's project

This is where Projects and Memory earn their keep.

A random thought about travel can connect to a content idea. A retirement conversation can reveal a budgeting question. An interesting AI tool can suddenly fit into a workflow you were already building.

Instead of treating each idea as an isolated chat, I can ask:

“Does this connect to anything else we have been working on?”

Sometimes it does not.

Sometimes it connects two projects I had mentally filed in completely different drawers.

Those connections are often where the more original ideas appear.

5. Arrive with a production brief instead of a thought

This is the handoff.

Near the end of the drive, I can say:

“Turn this conversation into a production brief. Give me the title, hook, main sections, strongest takeaway, and what I should do next when I get to the computer.”

That sentence is the bridge between thinking and making.

When I park, I do not have to remember the conversation. I do not have to reconstruct the best parts. The working session already exists.

The next time I open ChatGPT, I can continue from there.

Then I turn the conversation into an image

This is another small workflow change that has become surprisingly useful.

Once the article has taken shape, I ask ChatGPT to turn the concept into an AI image prompt.

Not simply, “Make a picture of a man driving.”

The image should communicate the idea.

For this article, the visual became an editorial cartoon: me driving normally, hands on the wheel, ChatGPT running hands-free on a mounted phone, while messy thoughts gradually turn into organized cards labeled Blog Idea, Travel, Retirement, AI Build, Image Prompt, and Next Step.

And because every executive meeting clearly needs adult supervision, Tuxedo Blue sits in the passenger seat holding a clipboard labeled 20-MINUTE STAFF MEETING.

The cat, naturally, remains unconvinced by management.

The real trick is continuity

The interesting part of this workflow is not that I can talk to ChatGPT in a car.

It is that the conversation does not have to be disposable.

Personalization defines the relationship. Memory maintains useful continuity. Projects organize long-running work. Skills encode repeatable processes. Voice gives me access to all of it when a keyboard is impractical.

Together, those pieces turn small empty spaces in the day into extensions of the creative process.

I am still driving the same roads.

I just arrive with better notes.


Safety note: Set up Voice and navigation before driving. Keep the phone mounted, use the system hands-free, keep your hands on the wheel, and keep your attention on the road. If something requires looking at or operating the screen, wait until you are safely parked.

Uploaded Image

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Upgrade Our inTech Flyer Explore: LiFePO4 + 200W Solar (Budget to Premium)

2026 Lansing Lugnuts Promo Schedule: Fireworks, Bobbleheads, and the Nights You Don’t Want to Miss

The Making of a Band: Why the Messy Middle Is Where the Magic Lives