A Zucchini Funeral: When the Squash Vine Borer Finally Wins
Saying goodbye to one summer star — and planning the 2027 comeback.
There comes a point in every garden season when you have to admit that one of your plants is done.
Today was that day.
Not because the zucchini stopped producing. Not because I got tired of eating zucchini. And certainly not because I suddenly decided I had enough zucchini.
This plant had been a workhorse.
Then she started looking tired.
Then she started wilting.
And finally she collapsed into the unmistakable posture of a zucchini plant saying, I have given you everything I have.
At first I was hoping it might just be heat stress or some temporary problem. Zucchini plants can be dramatic. One hot afternoon and they sometimes look like they have already contacted an attorney to settle their estate.
But this wasn't drama.
I checked the base.
Frass. Lots of it.
The murderer had left evidence all over the crime scene.
My zucchini had a squash vine borer.
And so, after a very productive summer, it is time for a zucchini funeral.
The Little Pile of Sawdust That Gives the Killer Away
If you've never dealt with squash vine borers, they are remarkably good at destroying a huge plant while remaining almost completely invisible.
The adult squash vine borer is actually a moth. It lays eggs around susceptible squash plants, and after the eggs hatch, the larvae bore into the stems.
That's where the real damage happens.
Instead of chewing leaves where you can see them, the larva moves inside the plant and feeds through the stem. Eventually it interferes with the plant's ability to move water through all those enormous zucchini leaves.
The result can be surprisingly sudden.
Yesterday's enormous plant becomes today's giant green umbrella lying on the ground.
Michigan State University Extension identifies zucchini as one of the large-stemmed cucurbits particularly vulnerable to squash vine borer attack. Once the larva gets protected inside the stem, controlling it becomes much more difficult. Michigan State University Extension.
And then there is the evidence.
Frass.
It looks like somebody drilled into the stem and left wet sawdust behind.
That's basically what happened.
University of Minnesota Extension describes the material around the entrance hole as greenish or orange, sawdust-like frass. As the infestation progresses, the base of the plant can become soft or rotten and the entire plant eventually collapses. University of Minnesota Extension.
Mine didn't leave much mystery.
There was plenty of frass.
Case closed.
The Zucchini Funeral Procedure
This is not going to be an open-casket ceremony.
Before the plant leaves the garden, however, there are a few things worth doing.
First, I'll harvest anything still usable.
Then I'm going to cut into the lower stem.
Partly because removing the larva is a good idea.
Partly because after watching this thing murder one of my best zucchini plants, I would like to meet it.
Extension guidance recommends carefully slitting an affected vine when the damage is caught early enough, locating the borer and killing it. Sometimes soil can then be mounded over the damaged area and the plant may grow additional roots.
Had I caught this plant earlier, I might have attempted surgery.
At this stage?
No.
Look at her.
We're not operating.
We're calling the family.
The plant, crown and damaged material are coming out. Anything associated with the infestation isn't going into my normal compost pile.
And because this zucchini grew in a fabric container, I'll inspect the soil carefully too.
There is an important reason for that.
After feeding inside squash stems for several weeks, mature squash vine borer larvae leave the plant and burrow into the soil, where they pupate and can remain until the following season.
So this funeral includes an autopsy and a search of the premises.
No witnesses are getting away.
Fortunately, the Garden Has Heirs
This would be a considerably sadder story if she were my only zucchini.
She isn't.
I have other zucchini plants coming along.
And then there is The Monster.
I don't know what agreement that plant signed with the garden gods, but apparently it negotiated unlimited production.
The thing is enormous.
Big stems. Big leaves. Flowers everywhere. Zucchini hanging underneath it.
While one plant is collapsing into the mulch, this other one is sitting nearby looking like it intends to take over the patio.
That's gardening.
You can have two plants growing only feet apart, receiving roughly the same summer, and somehow one ends up requiring a funeral while the other looks capable of supplying a roadside produce stand.
And I'm going to let The Monster run.
There is some normal late-summer wear on the leaves, but the plant is still growing, flowering and producing. As long as it keeps doing that, it has a job.
The Best Lesson From This Plant May Be 2027
Losing this plant doesn't bother me nearly as much as it would have earlier in the summer.
We're at the end of August in Michigan.
She produced.
A lot.
I have other zucchini.
And more importantly, this season taught me something I'm absolutely carrying into the 2027 garden.
I'm not planting zucchini once.
I'm planting it in waves.
This wasn't just something I dreamed up after staring angrily at a pile of frass. University of Minnesota Extension specifically recommends considering a second summer-squash planting after the main period of adult squash vine borer egg laying.
That fits almost perfectly with what I'm seeing in my own garden.
Instead of asking one or two plants to survive from spring until frost, I want generations.
Generation One: the early producers.
They get into the garden early and start supplying zucchini.
Generation Two: the replacements.
These plants get started several weeks later and are coming into their own when the first plants begin dealing with summer stress, mildew, insects and general zucchini exhaustion.
Generation Three: a late wave specifically intended to carry production toward fall.
If one group gets destroyed, the zucchini season doesn't end with it.
That may be my biggest change for 2027.
I'm Also Going to Start Looking Earlier
The other change is simple.
I'm going to stop waiting for the zucchini plant to tell me something is wrong.
By the time a large plant suddenly collapses, the borer may have been inside that stem for quite a while.
Next year, stem inspection becomes part of the routine.
I'm looking around the crown and lower stems for:
- tiny entrance holes,
- fresh frass,
- unexplained stem damage,
- leaves wilting when neighboring plants aren't,
- and the adult squash vine borer itself.
The adults are distinctive reddish-orange, wasp-like moths that fly during the day. Monitoring adult activity matters because management is much easier before newly hatched larvae disappear inside the stem.
Row covers can also physically prevent adults from laying eggs, although they have to be managed around flowering because covering flowers also keeps pollinators away. Crop rotation can help as well, particularly because the pest can overwinter in soil near previously infested squash.
So next year's strategy isn't going to be complicated.
It's going to be earlier.
Earlier monitoring.
Earlier intervention.
Staggered planting.
And backups.
Lots of backups.
About Those Marigolds...
Yes, there were marigolds growing right next to this zucchini.
No, apparently the squash vine borer was not impressed.
I still like growing flowers throughout the vegetable garden. They bring pollinators, make the garden look better and turn what could otherwise resemble an agricultural experiment behind my house into something we actually want to sit beside.
But this was another useful reminder not to turn companion planting into magic.
A determined squash vine borer did not look at my marigolds and reconsider its life choices.
It went to work.
The Bottom Line
The zucchini didn't fail.
That's actually the part I want to remember.
The plant grew. It became enormous. It flowered. It produced zucchini after zucchini through the summer.
And eventually a squash vine borer got it.
That's not a wasted plant. That's gardening.
There are seasons when you win against the bugs.
There are seasons when the bugs win.
And occasionally there are seasons when you harvest a pile of vegetables first and then hold a tasteful memorial service.
So tonight we say goodbye to one of the hardest-working members of the 2026 garden.
Cause of death: Squash vine borer.
Evidence: An obscene amount of frass.
Occupation: Zucchini factory.
Final disposition: Definitely not my compost pile.
Survived by: Several younger zucchini plants and one absolute monster that appears determined to carry the family business.
She had a good run.
And I'm already thinking about spring.
Because somewhere between pulling dead vines, saving seeds, cleaning containers and swearing revenge on an insect the size of my finger, something happens every August.
I start imagining next year's garden.
2027 is already being planned.
And there will be zucchini.
Probably too much zucchini.
Which is exactly how I like it.
Comments
Post a Comment