A brothers five year retirement plan
Connie, You Are Not Too Late
Connie,
I want to write this directly to you because this is about more than money.
It is about what happens next.
You and I have spent most of our adult lives taking care of other people. You became a nurse. I became an MRI technologist. We built careers where somebody else was usually having a very bad day when they walked through the door, and our job was to keep our heads, figure out what needed to happen, and help get them through it.
Now I want to apply some of that same thinking to you.
Not because you're in trouble.
Because I think you're actually in a much better position than you realize.
There is an image of you that has stuck with me for decades.
You were riding your bicycle over by the school on the other side of town. You fell. You hurt yourself badly enough that you eventually needed stitches in your chin.
And you weren't alone.
You were surrounded by people who loved you.
Years have passed. Life happened. Families changed. Relationships changed. One member of that little group has been a bit of a disappointment.
But the other two?
We're still here.
We stayed beside you then, right through getting your chin stitched up. And we're still beside you now.
I don't want you looking at your retirement account and thinking you're standing there by yourself trying to figure out some giant financial puzzle. You're not.
Here Is What We Know Today
You worked incredibly hard.
Last year, you made roughly $170,000 as a nurse.
You're a workaholic. Nobody who knows you would question your willingness to work.
But somewhere along the way, nobody really taught you how to make all that work translate into accumulated wealth.
Right now, the retirement account you showed me has approximately $37,800 in it.
When someone hears "$170,000 income" and "$37,800 saved," it is very easy to concentrate on what should have happened five, ten, or twenty years ago.
We can control the next one.
And the one after that.
And the one after that.
The Number That Gives Me Hope: 20%
There was something in those Fidelity screenshots that was far more important to me than the $37,800.
That tells me something.
You can do this.
The problem isn't that you're incapable of saving money.
The problem has been creating a system that makes saving happen before the rest of life gets a chance to consume the money.
And that is fixable.
You Already Have a Retirement Foundation
When we put the pieces together, we've been using roughly $4,000 per month as a working estimate for your pension plus Social Security.
We will verify every number before making a retirement decision.
You are not trying to build an entire retirement from $37,800. You are trying to build a financial fortress around an income floor that may already exist.
The Five-Year Mission
I think we should look at the next five years differently from every year that came before them.
You've spent decades working for everybody else.
For the next five years, part of every shift is going to be worked for Future Connie.
Every time you clock in, she gets paid too.
Housing, utilities, food, transportation, insurance and the things required to live.
Job: Pay automatically.Money that exists so an unexpected expense does not automatically become debt.
Job: Stay safe and slightly difficult to access.Your 403(b), possible IRA strategy, and eventually other long-term investments.
Job: Grow.Dinner, travel, fun, shopping and enjoying the life you worked for.
Job: Spend without guilt because the other buckets were funded first.The Secret Is Making the Decision Once
You don't need to become somebody who studies spreadsheets every evening.
That's me.
I have spent an absurd amount of time studying retirement, Social Security, taxes, investment accounts, withdrawal strategies, healthcare, pensions, and all the strange little rules surrounding them.
Sometimes I genuinely think this may have been what I was given the ability to do and perhaps what I should have done for a living.
So use me.
You don't need to become me.
We build the machine together. Then the machine runs.
Now you don't have to make a retirement decision every time you walk through Target.
The important decision was already made on payday.
Think Like a Nurse
Imagine someone arriving at the hospital.
You assess them. You get their history. You take their vitals. You determine what is urgent. You develop the plan. Then you monitor the patient.
You don't scream:
Maybe you wish they had.
But that doesn't treat the person standing in front of you today.
Finance is no different.
We're taking your financial vital signs.
We found something that needs attention.
So now we treat it.
That's how you've spent your career helping people.
And after roughly three decades of working in MRI, I've learned the same lesson from another direction: you don't guess.
You gather the information. You verify what you're dealing with. You establish the conditions. Then you proceed safely.
That's exactly what we're going to do here.
Give Overtime a New Job
Here's one idea I particularly like for you.
Your normal paycheck supports your normal life.
But overtime can have a separate job.
Maybe a substantial portion of every overtime check gets transferred immediately.
Same with bonuses.
Same with unexpected income.
Same with tax refunds if there are any.
You don't have to save every penny.
But suddenly those extra shifts produce something you can actually see.
At some point, something psychological happens.
The money stops looking like money available to spend.
It starts looking like freedom.
The Tools We Can Explore
We don't need some crazy get-rich-quick investment.
Diversify.
Keep costs reasonable.
Capture the employer match.
Protect the pension.
Protect the medical benefit.
Understand Social Security.
Avoid unnecessary debt.
Automate everything possible.
And Here Is the Best News
Connie, you're not trying to climb this hill carrying nothing.
Including your brother who has apparently decided that reading retirement rules is entertainment.
So I'm not looking at this thinking:
I'm looking at it thinking:
That's the good news.
Actually, that's the best news.
Because we don't have to invent some imaginary version of you who earns more money, works harder, or develops some incredible new career.
She's already here.
She's been working all along.
We simply have to redirect some of what she's producing.
Back to That Bicycle
You fell once before.
There were people around you.
They got you back up.
They stayed.
Eventually somebody stitched your chin together and life continued.
You probably barely think about that scar anymore.
This isn't much different.
Maybe financially you took a longer fall than you realized.
Okay.
We're here now.
You're surrounded again.
And we're going to get you back up.
This time we don't need stitches.
We need automatic transfers.
We need accounts.
We need numbers.
We need five disciplined years.
And we need you to keep doing the one thing you've proven over and over that you know how to do:
This matters.
I love you.
I'm not trying to control your life.
I'm trying to help make sure that after spending your entire career taking care of everyone else, there comes a day when Connie finally gets to take care of Connie.
And based on what we've seen so far?
I think we can do it.
—Your brother

Comments
Post a Comment