Jason Lord headshot
Jason “Deep Dive” LordAbout the Author
Affiliate Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. If you buy through them, Deep Dive earns a small commission—thanks for the support!

How I Run Microsoft VibeVoice Locally on Windows

Deep Dive AI • Local AI Factory Reference

How I Run Microsoft VibeVoice Locally on Windows

My permanent reference for turning a clean recording of my own voice into long-form AI narration on my local computer.

There is a particular kind of confidence that comes from having an AI voice system running on the computer downstairs.

Not confidence in the traditional sense. More the confidence of knowing that somewhere beneath the floorboards a GPU is currently trying to sound like me while I stand upstairs drinking coffee and pretending this is all perfectly normal.

That is where VibeVoice 1.5B enters my Deep Dive AI workflow.

We installed VibeVoice locally as an experiment in giving the AI Factory something I have wanted for a while: a narration engine that can use my own voice without requiring every script to leave my computer and travel through another subscription service.

This page is intentionally practical. It is the page Future Me can pull up six months from now when I remember that VibeVoice exists but cannot remember which folder it lives in, which command starts it, or why port 7860 suddenly feels vaguely important.

Bottom Line:
If VibeVoice is already installed on my machine, I do not need to rebuild anything. I open PowerShell, enter the installation folder, launch the Gradio application, and open the local web interface.

Start My Existing VibeVoice Installation

Open PowerShell.

Then move into the VibeVoice installation directory:

cd C:\Users\jlord\VibeVoice

Start the 1.5B model:

python demo/gradio_demo.py --model_path vibevoice/VibeVoice-1.5B

Leave the PowerShell window open.

That terminal is not decoration. It is actually running the local VibeVoice server.

When startup completes, the console should show a local address similar to:

http://127.0.0.1:7860

Open that address in a browser.

That is the whole normal startup routine.
PowerShell → VibeVoice folder → launch command → local browser interface.

The Five-Step Version for Future Me

  1. Open PowerShell.
  2. Go to C:\Users\jlord\VibeVoice.
  3. Run the VibeVoice Gradio command.
  4. Keep PowerShell running.
  5. Open the localhost address shown in the terminal.

No cloud dashboard. No account login ceremony. No mysterious button hidden three menus deep.

Just the computer doing computer things.

Using My Own Voice

The part that makes this useful for the Deep Dive AI Factory is voice conditioning.

I give VibeVoice a clean sample of my real voice and use that recording to guide the generated narration.

The reference recording should be boring in all the best ways:

  • One speaker
  • No background music
  • No television
  • Minimal room echo
  • No other conversations
  • Consistent microphone distance
  • Natural speaking pace
  • Clear audio without aggressive processing

The temptation with voice cloning is to think the longest recording must automatically be the best recording.

It isn't necessarily.

A shorter, clean sample can be more useful than several minutes of me talking while a fan hums, the television mutters from another room, and the Russian Blue decides this is the precise moment to conduct a hallway inspection.

What I'm Actually Listening For

Getting something that technically sounds like my voice is only the first step.

For narration, I care about:

  • Cadence
  • Pacing
  • Pauses
  • Sentence endings
  • Emphasis
  • Pitch consistency
  • Pronunciation
  • Natural conversational delivery

Those are the things that separate a usable narration voice from the audio equivalent of a department-store mannequin that learned English yesterday.

Always Generate a Short Test First

Before handing the system a 20-minute Deep Dive script, I generate something short.

Artificial intelligence is moving beyond simple chatbots. The next generation of AI systems can research, reason, create media, operate software, and complete entire workflows. For Deep Dive AI, we're exploring what happens when all of those capabilities begin working together.

Then I listen.

Not casually. This is the quality-control stage.

  • Does it actually sound like me?
  • Is the speaking pace right?
  • Are pauses natural?
  • Does the voice drift?
  • Does it suddenly sound robotic?
  • Are names and technical terms pronounced correctly?
  • Did some mysterious background sound appear?

Five minutes here can save a full regeneration later.

One Strange VibeVoice Habit: Surprise Audio

One behavior worth knowing about is that VibeVoice can occasionally produce unwanted background sounds or musical artifacts.

This is one reason the reference recording matters so much.

Rule: do not feed the voice-conditioning stage a recording containing background music if I expect clean spoken narration.

If a generation does something bizarre, regenerate the section before declaring the entire model a failure.

Generative systems occasionally wake up and choose jazz.

Long Narration: Break the Script Into Sections

VibeVoice is interesting specifically because it is aimed at long-form speech.

But "can generate long audio" and "should generate the entire production in one giant pass" are two very different sentences.

For my workflow, I prefer sections:

01_intro.txt 02_background.txt 03_main_story.txt 04_analysis.txt 05_conclusion.txt

Generate them separately.

That gives me several advantages:

  • Bad sections can be regenerated individually.
  • Pronunciation mistakes are easier to fix.
  • Voice drift is easier to catch.
  • Editing becomes simpler.
  • Failed generations do not destroy an entire narration run.
  • The Factory can eventually automate quality control section by section.

The finished audio can then be assembled into the final WAV or MP3.

Write for Ears, Not Eyes

A blog article and a narration script may contain the same ideas, but they are not always the same document.

Spoken language needs breathing room.

Abbreviations, dollar amounts, model numbers, acronyms, URLs and unusual punctuation may need to be rewritten exactly the way I want them spoken.

Instead of this:

LLM

I may use:

L L M

Instead of:

$1.5B

I may write:

1.5 billion dollars

That is not dumbing down the script.

It is preparing the script for the medium that will actually deliver it.

How to Stop VibeVoice

Return to the PowerShell window running the server.

CTRL + C

That stops the local VibeVoice process.

The browser interface will stop responding until the server is launched again.

How to Restart It

cd C:\Users\jlord\VibeVoice python demo/gradio_demo.py --model_path vibevoice/VibeVoice-1.5B

Then open the local address shown in PowerShell.

If Python Suddenly Develops Amnesia

First check whether Windows can see Python:

python --version

If that fails:

py --version

If both commands fail, I do not immediately start reinstalling everything like a man throwing furniture out of a burning building.

First I determine whether VibeVoice was installed inside a virtual environment.

The correct fix may simply be activating the environment that already exists.

Verify That the Installation Is Still There

Test-Path C:\Users\jlord\VibeVoice

Expected result:

True

Then inspect the folder:

Get-ChildItem C:\Users\jlord\VibeVoice

I should see the project structure, including the VibeVoice and demo folders.

Check the Demo Application

Get-ChildItem C:\Users\jlord\VibeVoice\demo

One of the important files is:

gradio_demo.py

If that exists, the local browser interface code is present.

The Microsoft vs. Community Version Detail

There is one historical wrinkle worth keeping in this reference.

VibeVoice originated as a Microsoft research project. Microsoft later disabled the original public TTS installation path in its repository after concerns about misuse.

A community-maintained version preserved the original open-source implementation and continued supporting local VibeVoice TTS workflows.

That means an older working local installation can look different from current Microsoft repository instructions.

Translation: if my local installation works, I should not "fix" it merely because a newer webpage describes a different setup.

Responsible Voice Cloning

My use case is straightforward:

MY VOICE

MY CONTENT

AI-GENERATED NARRATION

Voice cloning becomes a very different subject when someone else's voice is involved.

I use recordings I own or have permission to use, and synthetic audio should be disclosed when appropriate.

The point of this system is production efficiency—not impersonating somebody who never agreed to participate.

Where VibeVoice Fits Into My AI Factory

This is the part that interests me most.

VibeVoice by itself is useful.

VibeVoice connected to the Factory is much more interesting.

Deep Dive Research

Article / Script

Narration-Optimized Script

VibeVoice

Jason Voice Clone

WAV

Audio Quality Control

SRT / Timing

Visual Director

Video Assembly

Final Production Review

YouTube • Blog • Podcast • Social

That is the larger goal.

I do not want VibeVoice to remain another clever program I know how to launch.

I want it to become a component.

The One-Click Version We Should Build Next

Today I launch it with this:

cd C:\Users\jlord\VibeVoice python demo/gradio_demo.py --model_path vibevoice/VibeVoice-1.5B

Eventually I want the AI Factory equivalent of:

START JASON VOICE

Behind that one command, the Factory should:

  1. Check Python.
  2. Check the VibeVoice environment.
  3. Check GPU availability.
  4. Confirm the model exists.
  5. Launch VibeVoice.
  6. Detect the serving port.
  7. Confirm the application is healthy.
  8. Open the interface if I want manual control.

And eventually, even the interface becomes optional.

The Factory could submit narration jobs directly, wait for the audio, validate the result, save the approved WAV and hand the file to the next production stage.

At that point voice cloning stops being an application.

It becomes infrastructure.

Fast Reference Card

Task Command / Address
Open VibeVoice folder cd C:\Users\jlord\VibeVoice
Start VibeVoice python demo/gradio_demo.py --model_path vibevoice/VibeVoice-1.5B
Typical browser address http://127.0.0.1:7860
Stop server CTRL + C
Check Python python --version
Check installation folder Test-Path C:\Users\jlord\VibeVoice
Inspect demo files Get-ChildItem C:\Users\jlord\VibeVoice\demo

Creator Desk Gear I Use Around These Projects

Affiliate disclosure: Some links below are affiliate links. If you make a qualifying purchase, I may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. It helps support Deep Dive AI and the experiments documented here.

Logitech MX Keys S

Slim, quiet, reliable keys with smart backlighting—my default typing surface for long writing and coding sessions.

Check price →

Logitech MX Master 3S

Comfortable, precise, and particularly useful when bouncing between terminals, browsers, editing software and Factory dashboards.

See details →

Elgato Stream Deck +

Physical keys and knobs for macros, audio levels, scene switching and exactly the kind of one-button Factory launchers I keep building.

View on Amazon →

BenQ ScreenBar Halo 2

Even monitor lighting without glare for the long sessions where "I'll test one more thing" quietly turns into midnight.

Buy now →

Anker USB-C Hub — 7-in-1

HDMI, SD and extra ports for the growing pile of devices modern computers somehow expect us not to connect.

Get the hub →

Listen to Our Blues Albums

Coding, testing, rendering or just watching the GPU glow? These are three of our Deep Dive AI blues albums.

Album 1 — Smokey Texas Blues Jam
Album 2 — Smokey Delta River Blues
Album 3 — King of the Delta River Blues

Open directly: Album 1 · Album 2 · Album 3

Why I'm Keeping This Local

The bigger lesson here is not really about VibeVoice.

It is about what happens when individual AI tools stop being isolated experiments.

A local voice model can become the narration department.

The Visual Director can become the cinematography department.

NotebookLM can become a research and production helper.

The SRT becomes the timeline.

Python validates the handoffs.

Agents move the work between stages.

Suddenly the basement computer is less "PC with several weird AI programs installed" and more a small production studio that happens to lack employees, windows, and reasonable working hours.

That is where this experiment is going.

The eventual goal:

Research the topic.
Write the script.
Generate my narration locally.
Validate the audio.
Build the visual sequence.
Assemble the production.
Review it.
Publish it.

One connected workflow.

Follow the Deep Dive

I document these experiments because the interesting part of AI is no longer asking a chatbot one clever question.

It is connecting tools together until the computer can actually help complete meaningful work.

If you are building your own local AI setup, experimenting with voice generation, or simply wondering how far one person can push a home AI production studio, follow along.

Subscribe to Deep Dive AI Read the Deep Dive AI Blog Listen on Spotify

The Final Reference

When I come back to this page because I have forgotten everything except the vague memory that "Microsoft made that voice thing," this is what I need:

cd C:\Users\jlord\VibeVoice python demo/gradio_demo.py --model_path vibevoice/VibeVoice-1.5B

Then open:

http://127.0.0.1:7860

Upload the clean voice sample.

Generate a short test.

Listen before generating the full script.

And remember why we built the thing in the first place.

Not because hearing a computer sound like me is a neat party trick.

Because eventually I want to hand the Factory a finished script, walk away from the keyboard, and have my own local production system take it from there.

One more department added to the basement.

And one less repetitive job left for me.

Deep Dive AI
Exploring AI tools, local automation and practical workflows one slightly overbuilt experiment at a time.

Deep Dive AI Blog · YouTube · AI Workflow Solutions

#DeepDiveAI #VibeVoice #VoiceCloning #LocalAI #ArtificialIntelligence #AIAutomation #AIFactory #WindowsAI #TextToSpeech #AITools

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Upgrade Our inTech Flyer Explore: LiFePO4 + 200W Solar (Budget to Premium)

The Making of a Band: Why the Messy Middle Is Where the Magic Lives

2026 Lansing Lugnuts Promo Schedule: Fireworks, Bobbleheads, and the Nights You Don’t Want to Miss