Eight Days at Just In Time Kampground: Waterfront Camping in the Middle of Michigan
Eight Days at Just In Time Kampground: Waterfront Camping in the Middle of Michigan
A long-stay review of the lakefront sites, hookups, showers, tight spacing, limited shade, firewood economics, and the quiet afternoons that made the tradeoffs worth it.
Affiliate disclosure: Some links near the end of this post are Amazon affiliate links. If you buy through them, Deep Dive AI may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. The campground review itself is based on our own eight-day stay; no camping-product links have been invented where we do not have a verified affiliate URL.
Eight Days Instead of a Weekend
There is a point in a long campground stay where you stop reviewing the place and simply start living there.
The chairs stay where they are. The cooler has developed a system. You know which direction the sun is going to come across the site, when the bathrooms are quiet, and exactly how many steps separate the coffee from the lake.
That is why eight days told us more about Just In Time than a Friday-night arrival and a Sunday-morning departure ever could.
We stayed at Just In Time Kampground, 8421 E. Pierce Road in Ithaca, Michigan. The campground sits around a small lake and is built around the kind of family camping where the water, beach, campsites and activities all live in the same orbit.
By about Day Three, the shiny “we’re camping!” feeling is gone. That is not a bad thing. It is when you find out whether a campground actually works.
You notice whether you can settle in. Whether the hookups make life easier. Whether the bathroom feels conveniently close or like a minor expedition. Whether you still like the site after the neighboring rigs arrive.
And eventually you stop saying, “Let’s go back to the campsite.”
You just say, “Let’s go home.”
For eight days, that little strip of waterfront was home.
The Waterfront Is the Star
When I asked Kellie what made this campground special, she did not need a committee meeting.
The water.
Same answer here.
Having the lake immediately beside the site changed the whole rhythm of the trip. We were not loading chairs into the truck and driving to a beach. We were not packing a cooler for an afternoon “at the water.” The water was already there.
That distinction sounds small until you live with it for a week.
The lake stops being an activity and becomes scenery. The kids can be on the raft. Somebody can wander down to the edge. You can sit with a drink and look across the water while dinner remains technically “about to happen” for another half-hour.
One of Kellie’s favorite memories was being out on the water and the raft with the kids.
Mine was quieter.
About five days into the trip, I drove down to Coldwater and got some very good news about a new job. When I came back, Kellie and I spent the afternoon sitting together beside the water.
No excursion. No tickets. No carefully optimized family itinerary.
Just us, the lake, the campsite, and one of those rare afternoons where nothing needed fixing.
Waterfront Camping Without Giving Up Everything
I am still a rustic-camping believer.
Give me trees, privacy, enough room to spread out, cast iron, a campfire and water nearby and I am easy to please.
But I will admit this without being forced into testimony: having electricity was really nice.
An extended rustic trip usually comes with a low-level power-management job running in the back of your head. What is charged? What needs charged? How much battery is left? Do we run a generator? When do we run it? Is somebody going to complain when we run it?
Here, that entire mental category disappeared.
Plug in. Done.
Having water available at the campsite was just as useful. Add showers and flush toilets and you land in a comfortable middle ground: still outdoors, still cooking outside, still waking up next to a lake — but nobody has to pretend that a real shower on Day Six is somehow a betrayal of the camping spirit.
I probably used the showers every day or every other day. We used the flush toilets regularly. Those things matter more on Day Seven than they do on Day One.
The small campground store mattered too. Ice was available. Firewood was available. That sounds basic until you have settled into a site and realize the alternative is getting back into the truck because one cooler needs ice.
The $100 Campfire Lesson
Now we arrive at the part of the trip where I apparently attempted to heat central Michigan one bundle at a time.
We love campfires.
Eight days is a lot of campfires.
During our stay, we were required to buy firewood rather than bring our own supply into the campground. Restrictions on transported firewood can make sense because moving firewood can also move invasive insects and tree diseases. I understand the logic.
The wallet, however, is allowed to maintain its own opinion.
By the end of the trip, I believe we were close to $100 in campground firewood.
The first bundle feels normal. So does the second. Somewhere around the later bundles, the campfire starts looking less like rustic ambience and more like a small recurring subscription service.
For a two-night weekend, this probably would not register. For an eight-day stay, I would absolutely budget for it in advance.
Our Biggest Complaint: Long, Narrow Sites
Our site had enough usable room. That part matters.
But it was long and narrow rather than wide and spacious.
When the neighboring campsites were empty, no problem. The lake was in front of us, we had our setup, and everything felt open enough.
When the campground filled in, the geometry changed.
You suddenly become very aware of how close the neighboring site is. You are not necessarily short on camping space. You are short on separation.
For us, that was the biggest practical criticism.
If privacy is high on your list, site selection matters here. A waterfront address does not automatically come with a private backyard.
I Wanted More Trees
My other preference is less technical.
I want shade.
I like a campsite where trees do some of the work. A canopy over breakfast. Moving shade across the chairs. A little protection when the Michigan sun decides it has something to prove.
Our stay did not give me as much dependable shade as I would ideally want.
That is partly a campground critique and partly a camping-style confession. Somebody in a large RV with a deep awning and air conditioning may care far less.
I am still drawn toward the rustic side.
Give me trees, water, a campfire and enough distance from the next site that I cannot identify what brand of mustard they bought, and I am generally happy.
Just In Time leaned farther toward the modern campground side than my imaginary perfect campground.
Then I would look at the lake.
The lake made a good argument.
Our Long-Stay Scorecard
Waterfront experience
Convenience
Privacy / spacing
Shade
What worked
- Water immediately beside the campsite
- Water and electric service at the site
- Showers and flush toilets
- Ice and small-store convenience
- Family-friendly water access
- A good setup for a multi-day stay
What we would change
- More width and separation between sites
- More dependable tree shade
- Lower long-stay firewood cost
- Careful site selection before booking
The Real Tradeoff
That is ultimately the review.
You give up some privacy when the campground is busy. You may not get the deep shade of a wooded rustic site. If you are serious about nightly campfires during a long stay, the firewood expense can creep up on you.
In return, you can walk out of the camper and be standing beside the lake.
You have electricity without generator math. Water without hauling it. A shower when you want one. Flush toilets. Ice nearby. Swimming. Fishing. Raft time. A place to sit beside the water after getting good news and simply enjoy the afternoon.
Michigan already spoils us with water. The harder thing to find is this exact combination: waterfront plus modern conveniences without completely sanding off the camping experience.
After eight days, that is what stayed with us.
Would I abandon rustic camping?
Absolutely not.
Would I choose a wider, more shaded site if I could?
Immediately.
Would I come back for the right waterfront site?
Yes.
Because months from now, I am not going to remember the exact distance between our chair and the neighboring rig.
I am going to remember Kellie and me beside the lake. The kids on the raft. Breakfast outside. The campfires after dark. Waking up and seeing water just beyond the campsite.
That is probably the best test of a campground anyway.
Not whether it was perfect.
Whether it gave you something you want to do again.
Our Long-Stay Booking Checklist
A simple pre-booking tool for the next campground. Check the boxes while comparing sites.
Just In Time Kampground
8421 E. Pierce Road
Ithaca, Michigan 48847
Phone: (989) 875-2865
Campground amenities, rules, rates, schedules and policies can change. Verify current details directly with the campground when planning a stay.
Campfire Soundtrack: Deep Dive AI Blues
If the fire is going and nobody has volunteered to wash the cast iron yet, this is the right time for the blues. These are part of our Deep Dive AI blues catalog and the wider Peetie Wheatstraw-inspired music project.
Support the Work: Gear Behind Deep Dive AI
These are existing affiliate links from our creator setup rather than made-up camping recommendations. The campground review stays about the campground; this section helps support the production side of Deep Dive AI.
Logitech MX Master 3S
A comfortable multi-device mouse that handles long editing sessions well.
See detailsElgato Stream Deck +
Physical controls for macros, audio levels and repeatable creator workflows.
View on AmazonAnker USB-C Hub (7-in-1)
A practical expansion hub for laptops, cards, HDMI and the ports modern machines forgot.
Get the hubFollow the Next Deep Dive
We cover AI workflows, Michigan camping, cooking, home projects and the occasional experiment that starts with “I wonder if we can automate this” and ends with three browser windows and a new folder on the server.
Question for campers: What matters more to you on a week-long stay — waterfront, shade, privacy, or full hookups? Drop your answer in the comments. I am curious which compromise most people are willing to make.
Comments
Post a Comment